Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Days After Surgery

Day 1: So when they took me back to my room and I remember asking for my pillow. What they still had under my head was the pink foam thing my head was on during surgery! They don't have pillows here! Thank GOODNESS Mary told me to bring a pillow from the hotel or I would of never made it! Thanks Mary!! Anyway, at this point I must of dozed off for a couple more hours. Between surgery and after that's the most sleep I have gotten in months! Ha ha! Anyway, so I woke up, I don't remember if the light was on or not...and went for the TV remote, what else was I going to do. But remember when I said the garments went right on after surgery with no issue, heh, that wasn't the case any more. My body swelled up like Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor!! I had my fat hands back, fat face, and just about fat everything, it was amazing I wasn't bursting! Anyway, besides watch TV and chat with mom when she came, I didn't do much this day. Had an IV, had a catheter and was so sore I could barely move. Dr. S came around 10 or so and he looked so tired. The man is a trooper! 15 hour surgery, I cannot believe it! Not just him, his wife, the nurses, all of them! They are fantastic!

Anyway, he told me my assignment for that day was to sit up in bed for 30 minutes (I had been doing this off and on all day though, the bed goes up and down) and then to sit on the side of the bed with my feet hanging off for 30 minutes, then walk around the room. I guess most patients do this around lunch time or so, but he told me to do it around dinner time since it was so late when I got out of surgery. But when Patty came she said the doctor said in the morning, I wasn't arguing with that because I don't think I could of done it.

Day 2: So the next day around maybe 10 or so I finally wanted to sit up and walk around (I finally felt like moving) and the nurse got me up, walked me around, took off the garments and the bandages (all this took like FOREVER) and then I got in the shower. It was a quick shower, just enough to wash the hair and the parts of the body I could reach, with really swollen arms and a really swollen body it wasn't much. It also just got some of the old blood off, etc. There is a chair in the shower which is good, but it's really hard to even wash your hair, nevertheless wash your body. My mom wasn't there yet so I couldn't ask her to help and I felt odd asking the nurse to wash my butt! Ha ha..I guess I shouldn't of felt that way, but whatever. Anyway, so then I was freezing from the shower. She did dry me off well and then started bandaging me up again. She did this while I was sitting on the love seat which was at some times difficult, but nothing compared with trying to get the compression garments back on. She was huffing and puffing and all I could do was go "ow, ow, ow, ow." It was hell trying to fit this swollen body back into those garments, ouch! Mom came in while she was bandaging me up so even she was helping get the garments on. She had one leg and the nurse had the other and they were just trying to get it up! It would of been a funny sight had it not hurt so much. There are two or three really tender areas...one in my left arm, one on my thigh, and one on my back. They are just small spots but touching them there sends a shooting nerve of pain through me. Needless to say we got them about all on and I got back into bed. I was exhausted and so was the nurse! By this time it was past lunch so we finally ordered lunch, took over an hour to get it, we ate. Mom napped on the couch a bit, I think I may have dozed a tiny bit, but not much. Mom left about 8:30 and I took a sleeping pill around 10:30...this is why I am up right now (it's 5am here) because it wore off...but I finally slept a good solid 5 hours or so. That's good! And I feel better today. It's difficult to get up or down because of the muscle repair on the stomach (it is so sore!!) but I did it this morning. Got up, went to the bathroom, and now am sitting on the side of the bed with my feet down updating my blog. :)

Just to reiterate what I had done, long thigh lift (scar from knee to groin), long arm lift (scar from elbow to armpit), lower body lift (scar completely around body at hips to remove skin from all around), fat grafting in the butt (they took some fat out and put it back in my butt so it won't be flat), breast lift, breast augmentation (yes, I got boobs!) and lipo in most of those areas as well as the lower back and side area. It is a LOT to have done in one day! My body was in shock as much as I was. And by the way, I can already see a difference, even with the swelling. I just know I am going to be so happy with all of this! I am still amazed I even did it, wow!

I don't want to shower today, because I don't want to have to get the garments back on and for those who know me, I don't usually NOT want to shower. That was a bitch! :)

Well, going to go now, hopefully will go to the hotel some time today. I am looking forward to having all my stuff and laying in a normal bed. I will say, I am very impressed in Mexico with their doctors (mom was super impressed with the dentist and his whole team), but I am definitely not impressed with their facilities. It's like the US facilities 20 years ago or something. Hard ass bed, no pillows, etc. Anyway, I can make it through that for the fantastic results I know I will have. :)

More later.... :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing all this great info. I am looking foward to also having similar surgeries done this winter and may consider medical tourism as well.
    May I ask how much the combined surgeries cost you? Was it a great savings over US prices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, how tall are you? did the doctor mention if you had to be a certain weight or bmi before surgery?

    ReplyDelete